If you have been patiently waiting to meet your new baby or babies, you may have thought of how you should prepare for this special arrival. It is generally best to gather items for your hospital bag at 35 to 38 weeks of pregnancy. Here we will cover some essential items and some extras to have in your hospital bag.
Hospital Bag Essentials
- Photo ID, insurance information, birth plan (if you have one), and any hospital forms you may have. Some hospitals allow you to come in to complete the necessary forms for labor and delivery before your due date.
- Eyeglasses or reading glasses if you require them.
- Cell phone chargers and a portable power bank.
- Some hospitals provide non-skid socks. However, you may want to throw a couple of pairs in your bag just in case. They are great to have for walking during labor and after delivery.
- It is a good idea to have a robe or sweater especially if you generally are cold.
- Pack comfortable clothes. Stretchy sleepwear items can be a good choice to slip into after delivery. If you plan on breastfeeding, you will also want to bring a nursing bra and nursing tops.
- Pick something comfortable to go home in as well. Hospitals generally provide disposable postpartum underwear, if you are not sure about whether or not you will like them pack some maternity-sized underwear. Also, if you are planning on a c-section bring a couple of pairs of lower-rise underwear.
- Select a couple of outfits to bring for your baby. Bring a couple of different sizes to ensure you have something that will fit. Knit hats and socks are good too, especially during the colder months. Swaddle blankets are nice to have as well.
- Snacks! Bring some of your favorite savory treats and pack some for your partner too. Or bring change for the vending machines.
Make sure you have your baby’s car seat installed properly. Also, this would be a good time to confirm who you would want with you for labor and delivery. Compile a list of must-call people with their contact information to give to your partner so they can update those specific people about you and your new baby.
Non-Essential Items That Are Nice To Have In Your Hospital Bag
- Like to read? Bring some light reading materials like your favorite magazines or lighthearted books.
- Create a playlist or select some calming music. For this, you may want your earbuds or a Bluetooth speaker.
- Comfy pillows that are distinguishable from the white hospital ones.
- Postpartum recovery kit.
- If you are breastfeeding, you may want to bring a breastfeeding pillow.
For Your Partner
Recommend they pack a basic overnight bag with their usual toiletry needs and a change of clothes. If it is permitted, they should bring a comfortable pillow and a blanket. If either of you is taking prescription medications, make sure to pack those too. Another bonus thing to bring would be something like crossword puzzles that you can do together.
Would you like a free template to create your hospital bag checklist? Pinterest has a few to choose from. If you have any additional questions or concerns, please ask during your next visit to OB-GYN Women’s Centre of Lakewood Ranch.